Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Obama's race speech

Here is a video of Obama's much-ballyhooed speech today.



After the warm fuzzy glow wears off, read Allahpundit's total evisceration of the remarks.

This passage from the speech in particular annoyed me:
The fact is that the comments that have been made and the issues that have surfaced over the last few weeks reflect the complexities of race in this country that we've never really worked through - a part of our union that we have yet to perfect. And if we walk away now, if we simply retreat into our respective corners, we will never be able to come together and solve challenges like health care, or education, or the need to find good jobs for every American.
OK, so let me get this straight. If I am bothered by the fact that Obama planted his rear in the pews of a church whose pastor spews hatred and ignorance for two decades then I am against solving problems in this country? If I let my mind wonder why Obama never left this church or spoke out publicly against Wright's incendiary rhetoric -- or if I think that this lack of action on Obama's behalf speaks to his character, then I am against more jobs for Americans? I don't want to solve the health care crisis? I am for the status quo education system? Talk about a guilt trip!

Shouldn't Obama be the one who feels guilty about all this? Not us?

1 comment:

Latimer said...

Spot on. There is a horrific double standard in this society. Had this happened to a white pastor who had McCain in his congregation the uproar would have been deafening.

It is disappointing that Obama refused to address the real issue of membership of a divisive congregation and instead focused on playing his race card as well as he could.

Its tough for me not to change my views on Obama after his handling of Rev. Wright's comments.