Monday, May 12, 2008

Obama and Israel

The Atlantic website is carrying an interview with Obama concerning his thoughts on Israel. What I found is that Obama is evasive and is choosing his words very carefully. Here are some of the highlights (I've provided emphasis and comment on certain parts that leave open the question of his Israel policy. I recommend reading the full interview.):

Q: I’m curious to hear you talk about the Zionist idea. Do you believe that it has justice on its side?

A: ...And then that mixed with a great affinity for the idea of social justice that was embodied in the early Zionist movement and the kibbutz, and the notion that not only do you find a place but you also have this opportunity to start over and to repair the breaches of the past.


Q:Why do you think Ahmed Yousef of Hamas said what he said about you?

A:My position on Hamas is indistinguishable from the position of Hillary Clinton or John McCain. I said they are a terrorist organization and I’ve repeatedly condemned them. I’ve repeatedly said, and I mean what I say: since they are a terrorist organization, we should not be dealing with them until they recognize Israel, renounce terrorism, and abide by previous agreements....(And then comes the panderer alert ala Hillary Clinton. Do you really think this was a conversation he had in Ramallah? Hopefully some reporter is on the ground vetting this stuff.) When I visited Ramallah, among a group of Palestinian students, one of the things that I said to those students was: “Look, I am sympathetic to you and the need for you guys to have a country that can function, but understand this: if you’re waiting for America to distance itself from Israel, you are delusional. Because my commitment, our commitment, to Israel’s security is non-negotiable.”

(But Barak's not done yet). He goes onto say:
So I welcome the Muslim world’s accurate perception that I am interested in opening up dialogue and interested in moving away from the unilateral policies of George Bush, but nobody should mistake that for a softer stance when it comes to terrorism or when it comes to protecting Israel’s security or making sure that the alliance is strong and firm. (So wait are you or aren't you talking to Hamas?)


Q:Do you think that Israel is a drag on America’s reputation overseas?

A:No, no, no. But what I think is that this constant wound, that this constant sore, does infect all of our foreign policy.The lack of a resolution to this problem provides an excuse for anti-American militant jihadists to engage in inexcusable actions, and so we have a national-security interest in solving this, and I also believe that Israel has a security interest in solving this because I believe that the status quo is unsustainable. I am absolutely convinced of that, and some of the tensions that might arise between me and some of the more hawkish elements in the Jewish community in the United States might stem from the fact that I’m not going to blindly adhere to whatever the most hawkish position is just because that’s the safest ground politically.


To sum up: Obama may and/or may not talk to Hamas. He will not pursue the 'most' hawkish stance, whatever that means. He even went to Ramallah and told the Palestinian kids they were delusional. He is fond of the early Zionist movement; not too sure about this new one.

Another point is that Barak tries to tie himself to the Holocaust through Slavery and then at the same time identifies himself as someone that Muslims are able to identify with. To me, much of the cocktail he is trying to brew involves mutually exclusive ingredients.

No comments: